Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Miss Rose’s Sexploitation Follies Presents John Waters Themed Burlesque

Eric from PhilaMOCA and the Goddess Isis as Divine
If you are reading this blog, you already know of Baltimore filmmaker, producer, actor, comedian, author, artist, screenwriter, art collector, and book collector John Waters. (If not, get the hell off my site, you philistine.) The Pope of Trash is responsible for some of my favorite trashy films. If you -- saints preserve us -- only have a passing familiarity with this great man, here is a brief, introductory guide to some of my favorite Waters films and books. This is by no means a complete list, but expect a full John Waters retrospective on my blog later this year.

The Films: Multiple Maniacs (1970), Pink Flamingos (1972), Female Trouble (1974), Desperate Living (1977), Polyester (1981), Hairspray (1988), and Serial Mom (1994). Also check out the documentary/stand-up film This Filthy World (2006). 
The Books: Shock Value (1981) and Crackpot: The Obsessions of John Waters (1987, revised in 2003). 

Now that you’re better acquainted, you’re going to be kicking yourself if you didn’t attend Miss Rose’s Sexploitation Follies burlesque evening focusing on the films of John Waters. Held on February 16th at the Philadelphia Mausoleum of Contemporary Art, Philadelphia burlesque performers Miss Rose, Lil’ Steph, Mackenzie Moltov, and Miss Mary Wanna, as well as gentlemen performers Doctor Spookenstien and Mr. Fahrenheit all presented sexy, filthy and thoroughly trashy homages to John Waters’ films. Aly Katz filled the intermissions with some gogo dancing and the Goddess Isis (I think I’m in love) did a wonderfully divine impersonation of Divine as the night’s MC and guided us through a raffle and a John Waters trivia contest. Prizes were courtesy of Viva Video and Ritz at the Bourse. Most photographs here were graciously provided by Claire Horvath, who had a seat up front instead of catcalling from the balcony like me. 
We were treated to performances inspired by Female Trouble, Serial MomCry Baby, Pecker, Pink Flamingos and many more. Miss Rose provided one of the most insane burlesque conclusions Philadelphia has seen in a long time, involving a cap gun and a trampoline (I was there after hours when they cleaned the blood off the wall), and Mackenzie Molotov swallowed a variety of things, including knives and worms, as well as stomping around in enough eggs to make Miss Edie wet herself with joy. 

Sadly, no one was fucked by a live chicken, but after enough pestering, Miss Rose hinted that Philadelphia might be able to persuade her to have an encore sometime in the next few years. I expect live chickens and a lobster suit. I would be interested and somewhat terrified to see what Mackenzie Molotov does for a second John Waters performance. Check out her sunny side up pasties:

I asked Miss Rose why she chose a John Waters theme for her cinema-centric burlesque events, though I think the answer to that should be fairly obvious for anyone who has seen his films. 

Miss Rose: Throughout the run of the sexploitation follies, I've tried to pick directors that fit the time of year the show takes place. The inspiration for starting the show was a desire to produce burlesque show homages to my favorite directors. John Waters has been my favorite director since I was in high school. It took all of my will power to not immediately kick off the series with the John Waters theme. I knew waiting until February would be perfect, because it would fall right around Valentine's Day. And when I think of love, I think of John Waters.

The feeling is mutual. I’m just sad it was only one night. But April 20th, Miss Rose and her follies will be back with the less filthy and more sentimental Wes Anderson burlesque. As for more John Waters, find news here and get ready for his next book, Carsick, about his undoubtedly incredible experience hitchhiking across the U.S. in 2011. Also get ready for I Am Divine, a documentary about the incomparable Divine, the most beautiful woman in the world. I hope you had a chance to take part in the Kickstarter campaign. You will see my name in the credits, hopefully under “Pervert.”

        

"I'd like to stick my whole head in your mouth and let you suck out my eyeballs!"

1 comment: